The other day when there was quiet in the house, my kids were out picking blackberries to bring home to surprise me.
I thought I’d thank them for being away for the day 😉 and for bringing home these beautiful blackberries, so I made them some semifreddo.
Now to be completely honest, I tried the other day with frozen blueberries and they loved it, so the blackberry version was to show them what a beautiful creation their pickings made.
I also made blackberry jam, but that will be tested tomorrow.
Now if you don’t have blackberries or fresh berries, frozen work just as well.
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 500g blackberries OR 150g frozen berries
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- Process blackberries and sugar in a food processor until smooth. Set aside
- If using frozen berries, then place in a small saucepan on low heat and heat for a few minutes, then add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Using a stick-blender, blend until smooth and leave on low heat for another few minutes. Set aside to cool
- Place eggs, vanilla and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk the mixture with a hand-held beater for about 8 minutes or until heated, thick and pale(will look like custard). Remove from heat and beat for another 8 minutes until cool
- Whisk cream until stiff peaks form, then gently fold the egg mixture into the cream until just combined
- Pour into a 2 litre capacity pan and spoon over fruit mixture
- Using a knife swirl mixture through cream
- Freeze for about 6 hours or until firm
Enjoy your Sunday