As broad bean season nears its end we are taking full advantage of the last few in the garden and making the most of the warmer weather.
The thing I love most about this recipe is that there is always someone to help with shelling the broad beans.
Broad Bean Falafel Burgers
Author: Cathie Small Kitchen Tales
Serves: 6 serves
- 250g dried chickpeas
- 250g shelled broad beans
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- splash of Tabasco
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 cup coriander chopped
- ½ cup chives chopped
- zest and juice of a small lemon
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- vegetable oil for frying
- soak chickpeas in cold water overnight
- drain and discard liquid and process in a food processor until mashed and add broad beans, herbs, spices, tabasco and lemon and continue to process until a smooth paste has formed
- add flour and bicarbonate of soda, season with salt and pepper
- roll into small patties and place on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate for about 10 minutes
- preheat oil and deep fry in small batches until golden, a few minutes or place in a nonstick pan or on the barbeque with a little olive oil if you prefer
- enjoy with some yummy rolls or pitta bread and houmous
So what are you up to?
What are you having for dinner?