Baked some yesterday and will bake some more for the market this Saturday.
They take time to rise but nothing beats a hot cross bun out of your own oven….can you smell them…mmmm
I make myself a version without egg or butter, just replace with soy milk and some olive oil
Hot Cross Bunsmakes 12 (conversions)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 1 egg
- 50 grams melted butter
- Mix warm milk with yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Let sit for 5 minutes somewhere warm until frothy, indicating that the yeast is active.
- In a large bowl add the sugar, flour, mixed spice, cinnamon and dried fruit, mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the melted butter, egg and yeast mixture.
- Use a butter knife to mix then tip out onto a lightly floured bench and knead for 8 minutes till smooth and elastic. (add more flour or water if the dough is too sticky or dry)
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 min or until doubled in size
- Take dough out and knead lightly then break into 12 segments of equal size.
- Roll them into balls and arrange on a greased baking tray
- Allow to rise in a warm place for another 40 mins.
- During this time preheat the oven to about 200 degrees and make up a mixture for the crosses
- Bake for 10 mins then turn down oven to 180 degrees and cook for another 20-25 min or until springy to touch
- Brush glaze over them as soon as they are out of the oven and allow to cool