Today I am loving the cold weather, it’s perfect for snuggles on the couch, drinking endless cups of chai, making soup and having the oven on to bake delicious lemon tarts.
Our fridge is still full of lemons from mum’s tree, I have given away so many and yet we seem to have a neverending supply in there. We don’t mind because it means I can make lemon tarts to share around.
This lemon tart has been a favourite for many years. I like to surprise friends on their birthday’s or when I know they need some cheering up. It definitely brings a smile to their faces with its beautifully shortcrust pastry and tangy lemon filling.
- Tart Shell
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 150g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons iced water
- Lemon filling
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 175g caster (superfine) sugar
- ¾cup (single or pouring) cream
- 3 eggs
- To make tart shell
- Place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the egg and process in short bursts until the pastry just comes together
- Turn out and bring together to form a ball
- Flatten the pastry, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180 C/160C fan
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface until 2-3 mm thick
an 26cmround tart pan with a removable bottom
- Prick the base with a fork
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Line the pastry with non-stick baking paper, fill with baking weights (beans or rice will do) and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove the weights and paper and bake for a further 5 min or until golden
- Set aside
- Reduce the oven to 140 C
- To make the lemon filling
- Place the lemon juice and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until sugar is dissolved
- Add the cream and eggs and stir continuously for 5 minutes
- The mixture should be thick and
- Pour the mixture into the tart shell through a strainer
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just set, there should be a slight wobble
- Allow to cool and refrigerate until completely set
Do you make lemon tarts? If not, you should! Your family and friends will LOVE you for it.
If you try this recipe please let me know how you go.