We have had an abundance of eggs lately as our girls have been performing fantastically so I asked what the family wanted for dessert and it was a unanimous..”Sponge Cake please!”
So here is a fairly simple sponge cake recipe which is very light and moist and the best thing is, it only has four ingredients.
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 60 g melted butter
- Grease 2 x deep, 20cm round cake tins and line bases with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed for 6 minutes, or until mixture is thick, pale and tripled in volume.
- Gradually sift flour over egg mixture, add melted butter, while simultaneously folding in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Divide mixture between prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cakes have shrunk away from the sides slightly and spring back when gently touched.
- Turn out on to baking paper-lined wire racks. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.
- When cool, fill with cream, jam, fruit or whatever takes your fancy