So the school year is only just back but the never ending dilemma of the school lunch box has already begun.
Well if you have some almonds and some sugar in the pantry why not make some amaretti. Amaretti is the Italian name for macaroons, which means little bitter things.
This is a simplified version so please don’t be afraid to give them a try. It doesn’t require whisking or complex temperature control, just a food processor.
It is kind of a cheat’s version of the recipe but it still tastes yum!
- 400g almonds
- 1¾ cups (400g) caster sugar
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tbs vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C.Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper
- Place almonds and sugar in a food processor and process till a crunchy consistency
- Add flour, egg whites and vanilla essence and process until well combined
- Roll 2 teaspoonful of the mixture into balls. Place on the trays. Flatten slightly
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden
- Set aside to cool slightly on the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.